Job opening: TELECOMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
Salary: $71 533 - 92 989 per year
Published at: Aug 11 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide technical advice; relate user requirements to existing technology, policies and priorities, systems capabilities and other factors; serve as an implementation program specialist; and monitor installation level telecommunications programs and/or systems requirements.
DUTY 1: Serves as a technical advisor. Provides technical assistance/guidance to system users, program managers, and
DUTY 2: Implements telecommunication programs and special projects. Implements various telecommunications
programs to improve existing telecommunications capabilities and new systems requirements.
DUTY 3: Develops statements of work for telecommunications projects. Provides technical review of design, calculations,
cost estimates, implementation dates, and specifications for negotiation and/or administration of contracts.
DUTY 4: Prepares budget, technical reports, staff studies, and briefings. Prepares budgetary data in support of
programs/projects. Develops reports on the contractor's technical quality performance.
DUTY 5: Provides customer assistance and/or training for assigned telecommunications systems. Works to achieve and
support quality improvement in all products and services and takes a proactive approach in providing customer
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Selectee is expected to be granted with and/or maintain the appropriate security clearance required for the position.
- If authorized, PCS will be paid IAW JTR and AF Regulations. If receiving an authorized PCS, you may be subject to completing/signing a CONUS agreement. More information on PCS requirements, may be found at: https://afciviliancareers.com/regulatory/
- Relocation costs or other incentives may be available and considered by the organization.
- This posn is subject to provisions of the DoD Priority Placement Program
- This position may require drug testing and the candidate may be subject to passing a drug test upon selection.
- Selectee may be required to serve a probationary or trial period
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
- The employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station. The employee may be required to travel on military and commercial aircraft.
- Recall to duty may be a requirement of this position. Overtime and/or emergency overtime may be required.
- This is a drug testing designated position The incumbent is subject to random testing for drug testing.
- The work requires the employee to drive a motor vehicle. An appropriate, valid driver?s license is required for the position.
- Information Assurance Certification is a condition of employment. This position includes information assurance (IA) work as a paramount duty requirement.
- Per DoD 8570.01-M, the incumbent of this position must achieve the appropriate IA certification within six months of assignment of these duties.
- A waiver of this six month requirement may be granted per DoD 8570.01-M, C22.214.171.124 or C126.96.36.199. Failure to receive the proper IA certification may result in removal from this position.
Experience requirements are described in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions, Administrative and Management Positions and the Individual Occupational Requirements for Telecommunications Series, 0391.. Due to the use of 120-day rosters, this period of experience may be completed within 120 days of the closing date of this announcement.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must have at least one year (52 weeks) of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-09, or equivalent in other pay systems. Examples of specialized experience includes evaluating, analyzing, developing, managing, or improving communications systems, procedures, and requirements that demonstrated knowledge of current developments and trends in communications concepts and technology. NOTE: Due to the use of 120-day rosters, this period of experience may be completed within 120 days of the closing date of this announcement.
EDUCATION: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., related degree from an accredited college or university. NOTE: You must submit transcripts with your application.
COMBINATION OF EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION: A combination of the specialized experience and education described above. Note: only graduate education in excess of the first 2 years may be used to qualify based on combination of education and experience.
NOTE: You must submit transcripts with your application.
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-?grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the GS-09 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-11 level. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks.
Note: Applicants applying as VEOA candidates who are current GS civil service employees or are prior GS civil service employees within the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
Knowledge of a wide range of telecommunications theories, concepts, principles, practices, procedures, policies, standards and operational requirements.
Knowledge of performance characteristics of telecommunications equipment, systems, services, and transmission media to evaluate devices, proposals, and approaches.
Knowledge of basic electronics theory and operating principles, the application of existing and planned technology to communications requirements, and equipment interoperability and compatibility.
Knowledge of associated methods and techniques such as contracting procedures/legal requirements, cost analyses, and budgets.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to identify, direct, or coordinate actions required in providing needed service.
Ability to analyze/apply specialized communication methods and analytical techniques involving telecommunication systems (e.g., systems compatibility, circuits, switches, distribution, satellite linkages, and networking).
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY:
If position has a positive degree requirement or education forms the basis for qualifications, you MUST
submit transcriptswith the application. Official transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if position has a positive degree requirement, qualifying based on education alone or in combination with experience, transcripts must be verified prior to appointment. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here
to check accreditation.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
- Address Wright Patterson AFB
2000 Allbrook Drive
Wright Patterson AFB, OH 45433
- Name: Total Force Service Center
- Phone: 1-800-525-0102
- Email: [email protected]