Job opening: Engineering Equipment Operator
Salary: $26 - 30 per hour
Published at: Aug 11 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
This is a Direct Hire Authority (DHA) solicitation utilizing the DHA for Direct Hire Authority for Certain Competitive Service Positions to recruit and appoint qualified candidates to positions in the competitive service.
About the Position: This is a PERMANENT position located at the United States Army Garrison, Directorate of Public Works, Environmental Division, Natural Resources Management Branch at Fort Stewart, GA.
Operate a variety of heavy construction and forest maintenance equipment.
Operate heavy equipment or wildland fire engines to suppress wildfires and prescribed burns.
Read and follow manufacturer's instructions and use safety manuals for operation of heavy equipment and power tools.
Operate equipment safely to prevent damage or injury to equipment or other personnel.
Perform rough grading of roads, and trails or disking, chopping, mowing, digging, loading or leveling to clean ditches, install culverts, create trails or fire breaks, patch potholes, etc.
Perform mechanical and routine maintenance on gasoline/diesel construction equipment.
Perform equipment inspections and a wide array of operator maintenance on a variety of equipment.
Follow verbal and/or written instructions from supervisor to complete assignments or objectives.
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- A National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI) Background Investigation is required.
- Incumbent must possess and maintain a valid commercial driver's license (CDL) Class A at time of employment with no manual transmission restrictions.
- This is a drug testing designated position. The employee is required to complete DA FORM 5019- Condition of Employment. A pre-employment and subsequent random drug testing is required.
- Seasonally, and depending on weather conditions, the position will require after hours, weekend and holiday work, and is subject to call 24 hours a day, seven days a week in case of emergency.
- Incumbent must be able to obtain Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications T-1 through T-7 within 24 months of appointment.
- Incumbent must be able to successfully pass introductory wildland firefighter coursework including S-130 (Firefighter Training) and S-190 (Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior) within 90 days of employment.
- Pre-employment physical and annual audiograms are required, additional medical evaluations may be required.
- This position is inclement weather essential.
- This position has a Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel requirement of 5% of the time.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Engineering Equipment Operator ~ without more than normal supervision. I have the ability to perform common duties as hauling of small and large equipment. I can operate dump trucks and other trucks for hauling materials and equipment. I work under normal supervision of a work leader or journey-level employee who observes tasks in progress and upon completion to make sure they are properly performed. - Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
Physical Effort: Heavy physical effort is used by the operator in constantly reaching, bending, turning, and moving hands, arms, feet, and legs. Frequent adjustment is required often under adverse operating conditions. Considerable strain is caused by constant vibration of the equipment.
Work is performed in densely forested areas. Operates equipment in any kind of weather. The terrain is flat with dense trees, vegetation and intermittent swamps. Operator is subject to smoke, noise, dust, and fumes from equipment motor exhaust and prescribed fires or wildfires. Operator is subject to continuous jerks and jolts. During wildfire suppression work, operator is subjected to hazardous conditions. Occasionally works within surface danger zones (SDZ) on firing ranges (e.g., impact area) and this work may involve exposure to high explosive ammunition. Also works in control burning and suppression operations to include working on the fire line. When work is performed in accordance with Environmental Differential Pay (EDP) regulations, the employee will receive EDP for those periods of time. The incumbent is required to wear personal protective equipment, in accordance with established SOPs.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address DW-APF-W0VAAA US ARMY GARRISON FT STEWART HQ
DO NOT MAIL
Fort Stewart, GA 31314
- Name: Army Applicant Help Desk