Job opening: IT SPECIALIST (SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION) TITLE 32
Salary: $63 736 - 90 992 per year
Published at: Aug 11 2023
Employment Type: Full-time
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE BARGAINING UNIT POSITION
This Indefinite position is for an IT Specialist (Systems Administration), PD Numbers D2488000/D2489000 and is part of the MT Army National Guard. (A Position Description can be obtained from HRO upon request)
Selecting Official: LTC Lecce
Also advertised Title 5 at: MT-12089234-T5-23-470 (open to current MTARNG Employees, current/former members of the MTARNG; veteran's preference DOES NOT apply)
This position is located in a National Guard JFHQ-State organization under the office of the Chief Information Officer (CIO/G6/J6). The purpose of the position is to serve as a systems administrator on one or more of the systems maintained/administered throughout the state. The incumbent is responsible for installing and testing the system security configuration and monitoring, operating, troubleshooting and maintaining server hardware and software.
1. Manages all assigned servers and server resources, analyzing and defining requirements; analyzing workload; monitoring capacity and performance; diagnosing and resolving problems; and developing backup and recovery procedures. Installs, configures, and maintains servers and server resources in support of business processing requirements and ensures that servers are tested for stability. Installs and upgrades operating systems and layered software packages, ensuring compatibility with Army standards prior to installation of upgrade or new release. Develops and maintains database of hardware and software configurations. Conducts hardware and software audits to ensure compliance with Army, NGB and DOD standards and maintains system configurations. Monitors and manages the performance, capacity, availability, serviceability, and recoverability of installed servers and associated server resources. Implements security procedures and tools. Resolves hardware/software interface and interoperability problems, and ensures server functionality, integrity, and efficiency.
2. Resolves inquiries and problems concerning access, use, and availability of datacenter technologies. Provides technical assistance to current and potential users to minimize disruptions of computer operations. Provides formal or informal training so users understand the relationships of the system and are able to work with the system without undue interruption. Tests and analyzes system malfunctions to resolve physical and logical processing problems. Analyzes, evaluates, and resolves malfunctions by adjusting equipment configurations, realigning port allocations, recommending appropriate acquisitions, and distinguishing between equipment, software, and operation problems. Assists in solving problems associated with deliveries in support of individual hardware or software orders. Documents program purposes, methods, assumptions, and conclusions. Leads or participates in on-site surveys and/or reviews program information to determine status of the function and adequacy and quality of services. Documents findings and ensures recommendations are relevant to actual operating environments. Directs preparation or prepares a variety of program reports.
3. Maintains liaison with counterparts at other commands/installations for troubleshooting assistance and researching available products and state-of-the-art technologies and advancements. Develops strategies to incorporate into the organization's inventory such technologies and advancements found to be compatible with user requirements, taking into consideration any affect these technologies and techniques will have on existing architecture and infrastructure.
4. Performs other duties as assigned.
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- External applicants must be able to start within 6 months of selection.
- Incumbent must complete appropriate training and obtain required certifications IAW DoDI 8140, DOD 8570.01M or applicable governing document(s) for Cyber workforce as an IA Technician Level.
- All certifications are required within 6 month of employment.
- This position is designated as Essential Personnel and may be subject to duty in preparation for, or in response to, a state emergency or disaster declaration.
- Appointments in the Title 32 MT NG technician program may terminate/suspend your military incentives; please see your MT NG Retention Office/Military Personnel Incentive Program Manager for details.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a SECRET security clearance.
Military Grades: E5 - E9; WO1 - CW5; O1 - O5
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Must have experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the understanding of the stages required to automate a work process; experience gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
GS-9 - Must have at least 24 months experience, education, or training in analysis of the interrelationship of pertinent components of the system; experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment; experience scheduling the sequence of programs to be processed by computers where alternatives had to be weighed with a view to production efficiency. (MUST address these specialized experiences in detail on resume to be considered for this grade)
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience: At the GS-9 level, a masters or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree may be substituted for specialized experience. (Must submit transcripts showing proof of educational claims if using Substitution of Education to qualify for this position.)
GS-11 - Must have at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion. (MUST address these specialized experiences in detail on resume to be considered for this grade)
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience: At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree may be substituted for specialized experience. (Must submit transcripts showing proof of educational claims if using Substitution of Education to qualify for this position.)
PLACEMENT STATUS/TENURE OF SELECTEE:
TEMPORARY PROMOTION/REASSIGNMENT/CHANGE TO LOWER GRADE - For Title 32 permanent selectees only: This is an obligated position. If a permanent employee in the Title 32 Excepted civil service accepts this position, he/she will retain their permanent status AND have rights to return to their previous Title 32 position.
TEMPORARY PROMOTION/REASSIGNMENT/CHANGE TO LOWER GRADE - For Title 32 Indefinite selectees only: This is an obligated position. If an indefinite employee (tenure 3) in the Title 32 Excepted civil service accepts this position, he/she will retain their indefinite status AND may return to their previous Title 32 indefinite position if it is still available.
INDEFINITE APPOINTMENT - For Current Title 5 selectees only: This is an obligated position. If an on-board employee in the Title 5 excepted civil service accepts this position, he/she will convert to a T32 indefinite appointment (tenure 3). This employee will have no reemployment rights to their previous T5 position.
INDEFINITE APPOINTMENT - State National Guard Members (includes T32 NTE employees and MTNG members not currently a federal employee): This is an obligated position. Selectee will be appointed as an indefinite employee (tenure 3).
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Address MT J6
1956 MT MAJO STREET
FORT HARRISON, MT 59636
- Name: Vanessa Toquero
- Email: [email protected]